Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Email Scam Alert

In the last 24 hours alone, I have received more than a dozen messages about some lowlife trying to swindle money from families of missing persons.

It seems this person has been browsing all the websites of missing persons, and collecting email addresses of the victims' family and friends. Emails have been widely circulated to such people, asking enormous sums of money, in exchange for information of the missing person's location.

It is believed there is one person doing this, and this person is wanted by the FBI, as well as the Missing Persons Network and all affiliates. If you receive an email from someone claiming to know where your missing loved one is, and will tell you if you pay him an outrageous fee, you are asked to report it to the FBI.

Judging by the high volume of information I've received, it seems to me that there are many who want this person caught really bad. I, personally, am appalled by this, and so I agreed to spread the word.

Rather than posting the long list of links I've got, which contain more info than I know what to do with, I'll just say that if you want more info, you won't have to look very far.

Let's catch this creep before some grieving family member decides to pay him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, I am sending you a link to a site that has a video to watch regarding this subject. Maureen Reintjes was one of the people who received such an email in this new extortion scam and she was recently interviewed by Fox4 about this. The video is in the top right corner.

http://www.reintjes.us/blackmail.htm

'Anon'

Bill Widman said...

Anon - Thank you for the link, and for your support. With so many links I've received, each one telling the same story, I couldn't decide which one to post. This one seems to tell it all, and includes a video.

Readers - Scroll the page all the way to the right to find the video. You may also find it in YouTube.