Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Bin Laden - 1 Year After

'May Day' has taken on a new meaning for us on May first of last year. Can anyone remember the last time Americans celebrated a death? I was a bit surprised that not everyone was excited about it. There are those who said, "They'll only replace him with someone just as evil." But still, it's one less evil person in the world. Some would say that people would use any excuse to get drunk and raise hell, and, for sure, there was a lot of that going on. But I thought it was something worth celebrating. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I thought of the Munchkins singing "Ding dong the witch is dead..."

Besides that it took 10 years, I was sorry they didn't take his head. That's a tradition that goes way back. David took Goliath's head after slaying him to present to the king, as knights have done for their kings through the Middle Ages, and the head of Blackbeard the pirate was presented to the people of Virginia as proof that he was dead. Why not this time? Because, they say, we don't want any kind of shrine to him. I'm sure a lot of people would have liked to have seen such proof, but it didn't seem to dampen anyone's spirits at the time.

No comments: