Monday, May 05, 2008

That Time Again

I love North Carolina in the springtime!
Oh how I love driving down that road going home in the afternoon, observing azaleas, redbuds, dogwoods, fruit trees, and all manner of botanical wonders that decorate our roadsides every spring.

Lately there's something new. Every few years it happens. These flat rectangular plants on two stems, with people's names on them, appear on lawns and roadsides. They seem to pop up overnight, like mushrooms, but two dimensional.

So I come in my door with my groceries, and I see the red light blinking on my answering machine. There are 4 messages.
The first one is from Hillary Clinton. She's reminding me of everything I value and believe in, and why I've gotta go vote on Tuesday.
The second message is from Jeremiah. Nevermind.
The third one is from Bill Clinton, reminding me to vote for Hillary. Haven't heard from Bill in a while. He's the last presidential candidate I voted for who actually won.
Now are you ready for this?
The fourth message is from, no, not Chelsea, but Andy Griffith. He wants me to vote for Perdue for governor.

How does that song go?
"Always something there to remind me..."

I wanted to write about the beautiful Sunday afternoon I had yesterday at Carrboro Day. I went to see my favorite local rock 'n' roll band, Storm Front, performing like they do every year at Carrboro Day, except they keep on getting better. With me is Alex, a teenaged wizard who knows more about computers, CDs, and video equipment than I ever will know about politics. We get footage of Storm Front doing what they do best.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear but one of Carrboro's most popular living citizens, Ellie Kinnaird. Ellie used to be mayor of Carrboro. Now she's our senator. We are all so proud of her. She's here to remind us that she's running for re-election, and I want to remind everyone of all the great things she's done for us, so I walk with her.
I can't help it. I love this lady a lot, and I don't mind saying so.

I love my community. I love my friends and neighbors. I love our country and our planet.
But Lord! our government sure scares the hell out of me!
Let's hope we do better next year.
Let's hope we can still afford to drive.

Please remember that the road to hell is paved with republicans.
I'm still not convinced Carl Fox really is a democrat.

Check out www.elliekinnaird.org and see why Ellie Kinnaird is so special to us.

Yep, it's that time again;
and the seasons, they go round and round,
and the painted ponies go up and down.

No comments: